December 2, 2009

Full Moon Ride; Footbed Giveaway

Before today's post, a couple more giveaways to keep in the spirit of the week ...

Over the past year I've reviewed products from two companies who make athletic shoe inserts: SofSole and SOLE. For obvious reasons (I've mentioned that I've been running barefoot, right?), I'm not looking for extra structure or support in my footwear these days, but I've got a couple of extra unopened products that I'm willing to send off to the first person who asks. So if you're a men's size 10.5-11 and would like a heat moldable footbed from either company, e-mail me at info@runningandrambling.com, and they're all yours.

**
I'm tinkering with a draft post about the whole “big picture” aspect of barefoot running, but it seems like it’s going in too many directions at once – so I decided to scrap it for today, and do a quick photo post instead.

More specifically, these are pics from this week’s bike ride with my 11-year-old son, on one of our regular routes through the Fort Ord open space. We’re getting to the time of year when we have to race the darkness in order to get a decent ride in – but some of those hurried rides also turn out to be the prettiest and most memorable.


The first half of our ride is almost entirely uphill, and we hadn’t yet finished the main 2-mile climb before we started losing daylight in the west …


… although when we turned back to the east, the open valley and rising moon maintained just enough illumination for us to point the bikes towards home.



We probably would have made it back sooner, except that I stopped in my tracks probably 10 different times to try capturing the colorful vista of fading daylight behind us, and a bright full moon ahead.


We also stopped at the sight of this: some poor critter who didn’t quite make it home in time the evening before. My son digs looking at bones anyway, so finding some that were still connected to each other – as well as one that was completely snapped in half - was nothing short of awesome in his book. It also led to the following exchange:

Son: What do you think it is?

Me: I’m not sure … but I know what it means.

Son: What?

Me: It means we’d better get back before dark.



Whether it was the threat of predators emerging from hiding, or wanting to escape the increasingly cold chill of early evening, or simply racing against the dying light, the kid seemed to ride a little faster after seeing the bones. I gave him a head start to capture one last shot (if you click to enlarge, that’s him on the trail in the distance), then tucked the camera away to catch up.

We made it to the paved road just as darkness fell, and talked on and on about the bones in the comfort of our heated car ride home.

3 comments:

RD Jim 12/3/09, 12:16 PM  

This is one reason I enjoy the Adirondacks. There's very little chance you'll end up as someone's meal if you stray into the wrong area at the wrong time. :)

Anonymous,  12/3/09, 3:29 PM  

Those photo's are unbelievable! I think that's what riding in heaven is gonna look like - except for the bones.

1010 Chris

Darrell 12/7/09, 12:25 PM  

beautiful views, but the bones are a little creepy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP