September 12, 2010

CLIF Builder's Bar Review and Giveaway

Before today’s post, a very heartfelt thanks to everyone who contacted me via post comments, e-mail, or in person following last week’s big book announcement. It’s very much uncharted territory for me to travel, and I’m excited about where the journey might ultimately lead. And as I mentioned, there will be a lot more discussion of The Running Life in the weeks to come.

In the meantime, such an occasion calls for a celebratory post, don’t you think? Fortunately for all of us, the extremely generous CLIF Bar company has stepped up to help me spread a little goodwill (and more importantly, good swag) to a handful of lucky readers over the next few weeks.

Truth be told, I’ve already been the beneficiary of some CLIF love, and the timing of it was nearly unbelievable: about 2 weeks ago, after a training hike with my 12-year-old in preparation for a trip to Yosemite (separate posts coming soon, naturally), I mentioned to my wife that I needed to make a trip to REI that afternoon to pick up a handful of CLIF Bars and Bloks for the trip. That exact same afternoon, a box with the following goodies arrived on my doorstep:

I swear I’m not making this up. And the CLIF folks are total rock stars in my book.

So I’m paying my good fortune forward with two separate giveaways, the first of which features a product that doesn’t seem to get as much publicity as other CLIF offerings, but has become a favorite of my wife and me recently: the Builder's protein bar.

Five of the six flavors: lemon, peanut butter, vanilla almond, chocolate, chocolate mint (clockwise from top R). Not pictured: cookies and cream flavor.

Several years ago I became a fan of high-protein energy bars - partly because I experimented briefly with the whole Atkins/modified paleo diet thing, and partly because I was sold on the idea of protein intake facilitating muscle recovery after hard training sessions. The diet stuff never had any traction, but I still prefer a good-tasting protein bar to regular energy bars after workouts.

However, the serious protein bar connoisseur in the house is my wife, who on most days of the week uses one as her primary breakfast source. Since she rarely has time to prepare meals for herself, she grabs a bar and eats it incrementally between an early-morning workout and taking kids to school and getting about 20 other errands and chores done. She’s tried many different kinds of protein bars over the years, and tells me that the Builder’s are her favorites.

Nutritionally, you could do a lot worse than these bars if there’s really no possibility of having a regular meal in the morning. They are made from 100% natural (and 33% organic) ingredients, and contain 20 grams of soy and nut proteins. They're the only all-natural protein bar on the market, and the only one made with no trans fats or hydrogenated oils whatsoever. The low glycemic index and high protein content are extremely effective at controlling hunger for a prolonged period of time.

That last reason is the primary point my wife appreciates about Builder’s Bars, as she says they feel more substantial than similar protein bars, and suppress her appetite much longer. She also likes the texture of them, and the natural ingredients effectively eliminate that “laboratory” taste found in other high-protein offerings.

Another advantage of Builder’s Bars is the unique flavors they offer in comparison to most protein bars on the market. They come in six different varieties, and our favorites are lemon and vanilla almond – two options that are a refreshing change from the garden variety chocolates and peanut butters of the protein bar world.

Perhaps the only drawback I can think of with these bars is that they’re not distributed nearly as widely as their competitors, and can therefore be a bit difficult to find, especially in all six flavors. Our local Trader Joe’s stocks all varieties, and our Whole Foods and one other high-end grocery store carry a few flavors, but otherwise, that’s about it. If you’re in a town that doesn’t have a TJ’s or a similar health food market, you may be out of luck – but for a few of you, I’m here to help.

In conjunction with this post, CLIF will provide three winners with a 12-unit Builder’s Bar sample pack to save you a bit of shopping around. Typical giveaway rules apply here: just leave a comment below this post by Thursday at 5PM PST to enter, and I’ll draw winners at random and announce them on Thursday night. Good luck to everyone, and special thanks to CLIF for being such a cool sponsor!

57 comments:

Turi Becker 9/12/10, 10:00 PM  

I think I've tried the lemon, but would love to give the other flavors a shot...

Anonymous,  9/12/10, 10:20 PM  

Never heard of the Builder's Bar. I've tried and love all of the rest of their bars and gels. Would love to give these a shot.

nseibt 9/12/10, 10:36 PM  

Looks like some good swag. Put me in the running, please!

Phillip Hamilton,  9/12/10, 11:25 PM  

I still think about the piece you wrote about Clif. It sounds like a fabulous place to work (and right up there on my "I wish I worked at..." list with Pixar).

The Builder's Gars are great, I just don't buy them often. Please add my name in the mix as well, Donald. Thanks.

UltraMamaC 9/12/10, 11:38 PM  

We use the Builders' Bars all the time - my son uses them after his skating & hockey practices for recovery & he is extremely picky.

krystyna47 9/13/10, 12:57 AM  

Awesome! I've been a huge fan of Clif for a while, and have only ever tried the Builders bar once or twice... Definitely incredibly difficult to find. Thanks for the giveaway! :)

Boris T 9/13/10, 2:06 AM  

That awesome that CLIF would be support you with all these give always. I've always loved their products.

Mike W. 9/13/10, 3:35 AM  

Love Clif products but haven't tried the builders bars. I am in as well.

Tess 9/13/10, 4:21 AM  

I've seen the builder's bars but never a good choice of flavors -- vanilla almond sounds tasty. I really enjoyed your report about the company not long ago, too.

My Life 9/13/10, 5:21 AM  

I've been a Clif convert partly thanks to your blog review on their company. Their 100 calorie bars have saved me on many long rides this summer! Never tried the Builder's Bars...

(If their reps are reading this... please, please, please distribute more products & flavors in military commissaries & exchanges!)

Chris,  9/13/10, 5:30 AM  

We love the Clif bars. Haven't seen the Builder bars here. Would love to try some.

Unknown 9/13/10, 5:30 AM  

Clif Bars are my go-to bar when I need some energy for a workout. I'll have to give the Builder's Bar a try.

Luke 9/13/10, 6:48 AM  

I'm hooked on the Mojo bars right now, but would love to try some of the other options.

51feetunder,  9/13/10, 7:05 AM  

Have you used Clif bars during your runs as a fuel source? 22 miles into my last marathon I was STARVING and needed something of substance in my bellyu I'm thinking Clif bars might do the trick since the gels/sports beans/etc. weren't cutting it and in the end gave me gut-rot anyway.

The Dude 9/13/10, 7:13 AM  

I am a huge fan of the Builder's Bars. They really helped on my first (and likely only) r2r2r that I did in May. A great trip and incredible run that needs to be added to the list if you have not already done it. I have only had two of the flavors, so count me in for the celebratory giveaway!

Donald 9/13/10, 7:22 AM  

Thanks for the great response, everyone!

51fet: I've used regular CLIF bars during some ultra runs, and on the bike when I was doing ironman training/racing. However, lately I tend to prefer the Bloks (review coming soon) and energy gels during a run, and have the before or after. A CLIF bar and banana is my standard pre-race meal.

Kakapo 9/13/10, 7:50 AM  

I eat these all the time :-D Too bad there are only three flavors available locally. Count me in :)

Chad 9/13/10, 7:51 AM  

CLIF Bars, the best tasting bars out there.

Kurt 9/13/10, 8:23 AM  

I love the blog and love CLIF, but I never had a builder bar before. Thanks for the giveaway!

JimDog 9/13/10, 8:25 AM  

Love to try some. Looking forward to the book too.

Anonymous,  9/13/10, 8:26 AM  

Clif bars rock, especially the Protein Builder's Bars! Thanks for passing on the love...

Anonymous,  9/13/10, 8:54 AM  

Cliff bars are yummy!!!
Eddy

JohnF 9/13/10, 8:58 AM  

Would love to give these builder bars a try.

Congrats on the upcoming book.

shel 9/13/10, 9:02 AM  

never heard of these, but i immediately started singing the "bob the builder" theme song. (you can always tell the moms with young kids because they are singing Barney tunes under their breath on the run. love that they are all natural too!

tdomina 9/13/10, 9:07 AM  

oh oh! pick me! pick me!

Sean Reymond 9/13/10, 9:25 AM  

Looking at that picture I see that there are MANY Clif products I haven't tried or even heard of...better get to trying some of them because I love Clif products.

Can't wait to hear about the Yosemite hiking plans!!

Anonymous,  9/13/10, 9:30 AM  

I have to say I have always enjoyed the peanut butter and cookies and cream even if the former is more conventional.

Hannah 9/13/10, 9:33 AM  

I'm a huge Clif fan, but haven't tried these - would love to have the opportunity. Thanks!

Tater 9/13/10, 10:08 AM  

I would love to try some. Thanks Donald and thanks CLIF!

Corey Singletary 9/13/10, 10:12 AM  

I love CLIFF products. I basically lived off of cliff bars for a while in grad school. Love the blueberry myself. I buy them by the box at Trader Joe's. Will definitely have to try the Builder bars.

Sean 9/13/10, 10:18 AM  

I buy their trail bars by the case. I would love to try these out.

Dan 9/13/10, 11:33 AM  

I'm in, thanks!

Dan

Gerald Michalitz 9/13/10, 11:38 AM  

Hello, unfortunately you can not get one off the clif bars in Austria, so I would like to get a sample if it is possible, just came home from my vacation in Alaska where I tried the peanut butter clif bar and it was delicious. Greetings from Austria, Gerald

Jason D. 9/13/10, 11:56 AM  

Always up for a Clif contest!

Mary Parlange 9/13/10, 12:02 PM  

add me to the list! I can't find clif bars anywhere around here.

Anonymous,  9/13/10, 12:37 PM  

Clif! Clif! Clif!

Jenny Davidson 9/13/10, 2:17 PM  

I love the Builder's Bar - I agree with your analysis, much better than competing options, really leaves you full for a while, decent meal substitute when necessary. My favorite is peanut butter...

Nevin,  9/13/10, 2:51 PM  

I love the Builder's Bars. The Chocolate Mint is my favorite!

Adam 9/13/10, 3:33 PM  

I think this is one of the only Clif products I haven't tried. Love to win though to check them out!

Unknown 9/13/10, 3:56 PM  

I'd love to give them a try Please count me in
tanyainjville at yahoo dot com

Marc Meyer 9/13/10, 4:46 PM  

Clif bars and blocks rock!

Jeff,  9/13/10, 7:56 PM  

Always enjoy Clif products...thanks for the information, reviews, your blog, and the contests

Robb 9/13/10, 10:04 PM  

I go through enough Clif products that I can sure use this one! :-)

Sandy 9/13/10, 10:42 PM  

Love, love all things Clif! The protein bar is the best on the market IMO!

Lesser is More 9/14/10, 7:46 AM  

I love Clif Builder Bars, but thought they discontinued them in favor of the Shot Rox that came out last year. Glad to see they are still around, but haven't found many of them at the stores near me.

Justin 9/14/10, 9:16 AM  

I'd love to try some of those flavors!

Unknown 9/14/10, 10:25 AM  

BuilderBars are the best...thanks for the BLOG!

Unknown 9/14/10, 12:22 PM  

Builderbars are currently our family's favorite Clif product. I see them everywhere around the East Bay (Berkeley, etc.).

Andy 9/14/10, 1:15 PM  

For all those lamenting the lack of availability of Builders bars... you can find all flavors pretty easily (and generally more cheaply!) on amazon.

However, free is better than cheap. I'm down!

XTC 9/14/10, 3:08 PM  

All the Clif products are great; hook me up!

Caleb 9/14/10, 4:20 PM  

Thanks for blogging! I always enjoy Clif products - can't wait to try them :)

Justin Yin 9/14/10, 9:16 PM  

Never tried these before, looking forward to trying them.

Unknown 9/15/10, 1:38 PM  

I love these bars. They are far better than any other protein bar out there. I've never had a chance to try the lemon, though. Great blog, by the way. I'm new to barefooting (walking and hiking) and looking for any helpful info. Your site has been a great source of information.

Joe 9/15/10, 5:01 PM  

Count me in too, these are becoming my family's go to snack for hectic days. I'd buy the variety pack myself, but I can't find it. I've only tried a few of the conventional flavors (chocolate, peanut butter and mint), but those have been great and I'm curious about the more unusual flavors.

Sarah 9/15/10, 6:55 PM  

I tried the Builder's Bar at the Pacific Crest Sports festival. They were/are yummy!

Jacqueline,  9/21/10, 10:24 AM  

I tried a Builder Bar before doing an intense workout. AMAZING, helped me raise my knees with stamina!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP