March 2, 2010

Better Together

“It's always better when we're together -
We’re somewhere in between together –
Well, it's always better when we're together –
Yeah it's always better when we're together.”

- Jack Johnson, “Better Together” (video after post)

*
One day per week, I change into my running clothes as soon as I get home from work, and jump in the car with my 8-year-old daughter to go here:


A quarter-mile asphalt path that winds past a large garden, around a softball field, and alongside two playgrounds at her elementary school. Over the past month or so, it's been the primary training area for my daughter’s first-ever 5K attempt later this spring. She and I jog alongside each other, taking advantage of some rare one-on-one time together, gradually building up our distances with each passing week.


It’s also a great opportunity for me to get in a little bit of barefoot running, since our mornings are still prohibitively cold for my wimpy California-boy feet.


The track layout isn’t what you’d call traditional; it has a few sharp curves and turns, and a gentle uphill/downhill slope on one end of the schoolyard. Sometimes we have to avoid her classmates playing after-school soccer or softball in the grassy areas, or basketball or kickball on the asphalt. Other times, we have the place to ourselves aside from a few spectators ...


The geese make a lot of racket sometimes, but they never really bother us. And even when the playground is crowded with kids, my daughter and I are pretty good at keeping our focus on each other. We jog along together, enjoying our mutual company while discussing the truly important issues in life.


For example, the topic of last week’s discussion was, “What’s your favorite song from In Between Dreams?” We each had the same top 5 – including the intro song above - but in slightly different order. (For the record, this song is her favorite. It’s absolutely beyond debate in her mind – and I really see no reason to disagree.) You’d be amazed at how much this girl and I can talk about Jack Johnson songs.


After completing a handful of laps around the asphalt track, we do some sprints through the grass. It’s probably about 100 yards across, and I used to give her a 5-second head start before trying to catch up. Five seconds quickly became three, which recently became two. Pretty soon, I’ll be the one asking for a head start … and I’m not quite sure how I’ll feel about that.


Once the running is finished, we sit for a few moments to catch our breath and watch the sun set over the nearby hillside. Then we stroll across the schoolyard with my arm draped over her shoulders before climbing into the car to head back home, usually singing some songs along the way. It’s always the shortest workout of my week, but never fails to be the most satisfying.


**
Here’s a measure of how completely I love the In Between Dreams album: as beautiful as the following song is, it just barely cracked my top five list in the aforementioned discussion with my daughter. However, it’s certainly the most applicable one for this post.

Jack Johnson, “Better Together” (click to play):

15 comments:

nwgdc 3/4/10, 4:54 AM  

IN the office I work at, there are 5 cd's on rotation, and In Between Dreams is one of them.
It's been in the rotation since January of '09 and still going strong!

Unknown 3/4/10, 5:52 AM  

Great post! My daughter is only 5, but last summer she would always come out on Saturday mornings after my long run and we'd do a cool down lap through our neighborhood. As the weather is improving here on the East coast, she's started to ask when we can go running together again. It certainly is magical.
Oh, and we're also big Jack Johnson fans!

Ewa 3/4/10, 5:59 AM  

What a wonderful way to share your passion with your daughter. I love runs with my son (early teen now) and it seems those runs are the best times for some good talks.
Geese and barefoot running... you are brave. I love my barefoot runs but there are some parks I just avoid.

Gretchen 3/4/10, 6:04 AM  

I love this post.
I can't think of anything else to say about it.

But, I hope if I ever meet your daughter, I have my guitar with me. Banana Pancakes is definitely my un-debatable favorite from the album.

Backofpack 3/4/10, 6:29 AM  

Life As It Should Be! Nice post Donald and great DAD!

209Mike 3/4/10, 8:56 AM  

Very good Donald. These type of posts always put a smile on my face.

Unknown 3/4/10, 9:05 AM  

I gave birth to my son Archimedes 2 years ago at home dancing with my husband to In Between Dreams :)
Bubble Toes is one of my Faves!

Anonymous,  3/4/10, 11:20 AM  

What running shoe model is your daughter wearing??? I don't recognize it....

sneakerpimp18

Jabadoo 3/4/10, 12:25 PM  

Beautiful! I also have an 8 year old daughter that I love to run with. Being a daddy is the best thing in the world.

Oh, and we're also JJ fans.

Scott Dunlap 3/4/10, 8:06 PM  

My four year old likes Wolfmother. Not sure what that says about either of us. ;-)

Great post!

SD

Spokane Al 3/4/10, 10:17 PM  

Your product reviews are always detailed and terrific, but these are the posts that I enjoy the most from you.

Anne 3/5/10, 11:32 AM  

Such great father-daughter memories you're creating. Tell me, what happens if you step barefoot in goose poop, or animal poop of any kind? I'm having disturbing visuals.

Michael Shane Helton 3/6/10, 4:43 PM  

I have never heard of Jack Johnson...time to go download some songs!

Rainmaker 3/7/10, 8:12 PM  

Great post. It'll be these posts that you'll look back on in 10, 20 years and wonder where all the time went.

Neat stuff. :)

SDrunner 3/8/10, 11:55 PM  

Very enjoyable post, I too love everything Jack Johnson, even his Curious George album! Awesome your daughter is as into running as you are, definitely carrying on the tradition :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP