March 10, 2010

Target Acquisition

Actual conversation between me and my 8-year-old daughter during our most recent 5K training session ...

Daughter: So are we doing the 5K in Salinas this spring, or the one in Carmel?

Me: The one in Carmel. It's the same one [her brother] did for his first 5K.

Daughter: OK ... (long pause) ... so what was [her brother's] time when he did that race?

Me: I'm not exactly sure ... I think it was something around 36 or 37 minutes. I can check for sure when we get home. (Another pause) You're going to try to beat his time, aren't you?

Daughter (with sly smile): Maybe.

It's not my normal parenting style to compare one child to another, or to place the unnecessary pressure of expectation on a kid who's doing something primarily intended to be fun and healthy, so let's just keep the following observations between you, me and the Internet: This is a very determined little girl. And I don't think her brother's mark stands a chance this April.

5 comments:

Rainmaker 3/10/10, 9:51 PM  

Just don't let her brother know...

Bullet 3/11/10, 6:27 AM  

That's awesome. Wonder who put the seed of competition in her? Hmmm?

Unknown 3/11/10, 11:04 AM  

Run girl Run!!!! woohoo!

Stuart 3/11/10, 12:59 PM  

And so a racer was born!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP