Random Shots of Beauty
Administrative note: I know I promised a VIVOBAREFOOT Achilles review this week, but I had a unexpected attack of post-Yosemite laziness, so that one's getting pushed to next week. Stay tuned.
*
In the meantime, here's your Random Shot of Beauty:
Daybreak under heavy fog near Soledad, California, taken this morning on my approach to the start line of the Salinas Valley Half Marathon. I basically ran the same high-mileage version as I did at last year's race (including the Vibrams), except I didn't take nearly as many photos; this year, I was leading a pace group in the half-marathon, and I figured that pulling over every quarter-mile or so to snap pictures might be frowned upon.
Pacing was a fun gig, but I have to confess that when it comes to deciding which part of the morning I enjoy more - sharing a race experience with hundreds of friends and fellow runners, or having the quiet beauty of the pre-race run all to myself - I'd pick the lonely miles just about every time.
Get updates as soon as they're posted! Click here to subscribe to Running and Rambling.
Check out the Running Life book for a collection of our most popular columns.
2 comments:
That is a beautiful photo. Real Americana that makes me homesick for that kind of beauty.
I generally prefer the lonely miles, too. That doesn't make us bad people. At least I don't think it does.
Post a Comment