June 5, 2012

CLIF Kit's Organic Bar Review and Giveaway


There's no such thing as summer vacation for the CLIF Company – at least, not if the procession of packages at my door over the past few weeks is any indication.


First up was Gary's Panforte, which I described and gave away a few weeks ago. Those are still available on store shelves – I saw some at REI just last week – and this week is another giveaway featuring yet another new product. However, instead of commemorating company founder Gary Erickson and his adventures in the Italian Alps, this product spotlights the other half of CLIF's “dynamic duo”: Kit Crawford, Gary's better half who also happens to be an organic farmer extraordinaire.


Kit Crawford; photo courtesy CLIF Company

Last summer (when I was reviewing their Family Wine, which still ranks as one of the all-time coolest product reviews in R&R history) I mentioned the CLIF Family Farm, founded in Northern California in 2003. Gary and Kit developed the farm as their commitment to organics and sustainable farming, and to promote the larger vision of family farming and local consumption.


The newly released CLIF creation, called Kit’s Organic, is a fruit and nut bar that reflects Kit’s lifelong passion for organic gardening and simple food production. Each bar has 200 calories or less, and they're all gluten-free, soy-free, and dairy-free – and they're made with just a handful of 100% organic ingredients, in some cases as few as four. They have a very soft, chewy texture, and come in four flavors: Berry Almond, Cashew, Chocolate Almond Coconut, and Peanut Butter.


Berry Almond flavor Kit's Organic bar

In size, texture, and ingredient count, these new bars are very similar to a product called the C Bar that was released a couple of years ago … and now that I'm looking for them on the CLIF website, I realize that C Bars must have been discontinued. My family and I really liked the C Bars, and these Kit's Organic bars hit the spot as well, although the flavors are more nut-based than the fruit-heavy varieties (such as cherry pomegranate, apple, or blueberry) of C Bars.

Each of Kit's bars has a three-quarters serving of organic fruit, and it's a good low glycemic index food that is also high in fiber. They also prove the notion that simple combinations of ingredients can produce wonderful tasting goodies, and they're a great representation of Kit's passion for organic farming.

Kit’s Organic bars are now available from the company website as well as select stores nationwide, but thanks to the generosity of the CLIF Company, a few of my readers will get to try them for free. Three winners will receive a sampler box containing 2 bars of each flavor, or 8 total bars per winner. Leave a comment in the box below to enter, and winners will be announced this Saturday, June 9.

Special thanks to Kit Crawford and the CLIF Company for sponsoring this contest, and good luck to everybody!


*Products provided by CLIF Bar and Company
**If you have a product you'd like reviewed, contact me at info@runningandrambling.com.



Get updates as soon as they're posted! Click here to subscribe to Running and Rambling. 


Check out the Running Life book for a collection of our most popular columns.

88 comments:

Sara 6/5/12, 7:13 PM  

yum! yes, please!

Donald Piret 6/5/12, 7:28 PM  

I'm getting hungry just looking at these, I think that's the first time an energy bar does that to me...

Matt 6/5/12, 7:45 PM  

I'd like to try them out too!

Anonymous,  6/5/12, 7:56 PM  

Count me in please.

Melissa 6/5/12, 8:09 PM  

I would love to try these!

Ttrockwood@yahoo.com,  6/5/12, 8:28 PM  

I looovvvee all cliff products and cant wait to try these!
Ttrockwood@yahoo.com

Jesse 6/5/12, 9:00 PM  

They look like Lara Bars. I would like to give them a try...

Ironmike 6/5/12, 9:16 PM  

Love the Clif products. It would be great to give these a try.

Joyce 6/5/12, 9:41 PM  

They sound delicious!

Mmmdubs,  6/6/12, 12:36 AM  

I'd love to give them a try, anything that can compete with the meal pack bars are a must for me.

Anonymous,  6/6/12, 12:46 AM  

Compulsive ingredient reader likes the idea of a short list.

Richard 6/6/12, 1:29 AM  

I WANT THEM!!! Please... :)

Kelly 6/6/12, 3:53 AM  

I would love to try these - thanks!

baby olive 6/6/12, 4:06 AM  

They sound perfect for me!

Brian D. 6/6/12, 4:33 AM  

Would love to try the organic version of my favorite pre-race snack!

Eddie 6/6/12, 4:34 AM  

Add me to the list!

Al D. 6/6/12, 5:10 AM  

ordarynruponey 18Holy cow!! These sound great!

moonsword 6/6/12, 5:34 AM  

All great flavors, especially the Berry Almond and Cashew! I'd love to try them...many thanks!

Unknown 6/6/12, 5:53 AM  

I would love to try these. Thanks.

treklightly 6/6/12, 5:57 AM  

I'd love to try as well. Thanks!

Matthew 6/6/12, 6:10 AM  

Send some my way.

Dustin Brown,  6/6/12, 6:11 AM  

Those look good!

mattB 6/6/12, 6:15 AM  

Look good to me.

Unknown 6/6/12, 6:19 AM  

These look fantastic!

Bryan M,  6/6/12, 6:33 AM  

Yes please!

PRE LIVES ON 6/6/12, 6:53 AM  

I have been bummed out trying to eat better and as a vegan to miss out on some of my favorite food bars. Can't wait to try these.

Chu 6/6/12, 7:00 AM  

Nice snack option!

Alex R,  6/6/12, 7:03 AM  

These look tasty, please include me in the contest

Alex

Kate 6/6/12, 7:31 AM  

yum- this makes me hungry!
steeplechaser29 at yahoo dot com

Unknown 6/6/12, 8:51 AM  

Looks good, Lets see if they are at Whole Foods yet.

rbrown10 6/6/12, 8:56 AM  

put me down for one!

Jeff Gallup 6/6/12, 9:24 AM  

I just saw these... not eating gluten these days, so these looked perfect! sign me up!

RD Jim 6/6/12, 9:28 AM  

At least the packaging looks good. Though CLIF bars never really were a feast for the eyes... never meant to be I guess so why change what ain't broke. LOL.

Nell at njschout 6/6/12, 9:42 AM  

Would love to try these, healthy and most of all -gluten free

Dave 6/6/12, 10:03 AM  

Sounds delicious!

Julia S.,  6/6/12, 10:05 AM  

Sounds great!

Spencer 6/6/12, 10:11 AM  

Stuff looks good!!!

Akemi,  6/6/12, 10:15 AM  

These look nice. I like fruit and nut bars more than cookie-like one.

Nevin,  6/6/12, 10:20 AM  

Count me in!

Nicole 6/6/12, 10:22 AM  

I'd love to try these bars!

Nate 6/6/12, 10:30 AM  

Lucky #52! Daddy needs some new clif bars!

Ken Michal 6/6/12, 10:48 AM  

Count me in! I would love to try the new Kit's bar!

All Day!
~Ken

Anonymous,  6/6/12, 10:57 AM  

I'd like to try some

Amy 6/6/12, 12:24 PM  

Ahhh I'm dying to try these!! Great review!

Andy 6/6/12, 12:30 PM  

Hi Donald,

Please enter me in this contest.

Peace and Love,

Andy

Ray 6/6/12, 2:33 PM  

Look delicious. Would love to try them!

Sarah 6/6/12, 2:55 PM  

Those look super yummy!

Phung the Asian Runner(P-TAR) 6/6/12, 3:22 PM  

Would love to try these bars! Love Clif!

Gerald C. 6/6/12, 3:39 PM  

Woohoo, new CLIF bars to try out! I can't wait!!

Unknown 6/6/12, 3:40 PM  

They sound great

cody r.,  6/6/12, 4:18 PM  

third time's the charm!

Anonymous,  6/6/12, 4:51 PM  

sounds yum

Jerry R.,  6/6/12, 5:03 PM  

I have food allergies including gluten, lactose, and soy. It is nice to know that Clif is sensitive to people with food allergies and came up with a bar that I can take with me on a run, etc. Haven't tried the Kit's Organic Bars but now I know I will be looking for them at the store. Thank you Clif!

Mark 6/6/12, 5:10 PM  

Bars sound great, good review. Thanks

Go Gators 6/6/12, 6:17 PM  

In for one! Thanks!

JimDog 6/6/12, 6:25 PM  

That's a big fat yes sirree, count me in!!! Thanks!

Emily A.,  6/6/12, 6:51 PM  

The berry almond flavor looks delicious! I would love to try them. I've been looking for something to get me through the afternoon at work.

Questionably Texan 6/6/12, 7:02 PM  

Sign me up for some free bars!

old & been around the block Rich,  6/6/12, 7:37 PM  

Keep left.
Vote for the greater good.
Eat organic my friend.

Scotty M,  6/6/12, 8:03 PM  

Sounds Good.

Unknown 6/7/12, 3:36 AM  

No Cliff here.
It would be great to try some.

BE 6/7/12, 5:54 AM  

Always up for something new from Cliff. Thanks much.

painn3ck 6/7/12, 6:19 AM  

Sounds great, will have to try them win or not!

Nancy,  6/7/12, 7:42 AM  

Count me in too!

tintallie 6/7/12, 9:41 AM  

That is awesome that CLIF is making something that is gluten free!

D Stroy 6/7/12, 11:04 AM  

Sounds delicious, I'll have to keep my eyes out!

qrtrmiler 6/7/12, 12:15 PM  

Love the Clif line-up...the Kit's look like a great addition. Please enter me in the giveaway...thanks! -Don

wch 6/7/12, 12:37 PM  

Those look great! The fewer ingredients the better (to a point!)

george 6/7/12, 1:00 PM  

They look simple and great - simply great!

Blair W.,  6/7/12, 2:56 PM  

Hopefully, I live near one of those select stores nationwide. Thanks you for the giveaway Clif and R&R.

cablebfg 6/7/12, 8:45 PM  

Sounds delicious! Will have to check them out if I don't win.

DavidS 6/8/12, 7:56 AM  

Clif bars are great to have during my weekly long run.Count me in, please.

Knuckles Buchanan 6/8/12, 9:02 AM  

Sign me up, Donald. They look great. Thanks.

LG33 6/8/12, 2:37 PM  

Those are looking pretty good!

Eric 6/9/12, 3:39 AM  

These look like exactly what my wife & I need since going more primal!

Lucid Moon Studio 6/9/12, 7:36 AM  

Might be too late, but I am going to throw my name in hat just in case! Would love to try some :)

komickid 6/9/12, 4:10 PM  

These look amazing, can't wait to give them a try!

conor.eastman 6/10/12, 9:50 PM  

This is great! I love Clif Bars, but have had to stay away from them because of gluten content. This looks like it will hit the spot.

Malva,  9/6/12, 7:39 AM  

Good - I miss the C bars.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP