Barefoot Running Step By Step: Book Review and Giveaway
Before today’s barefoot-related post and giveaway, a barefoot-related announcement: earlier this year, VIVOBAREFOOT offered a workshop in New York City with barefoot running expert Lee Saxby. The multi-day event provided practical and theoretical components of barefoot running, and participants earned certification to join a growing network of barefoot coaches.
If this sounds like your sort of thing, the company is offering the workshop again, this time a little further west. The next session is October 26-30 in Denver, CO, and will again feature Lee Saxby and the same curriculum as the New York course. The cost is fairly steep ($3000), but if you’re passionate about barefoot running and looking to develop or enhance your personal training resume to share the benefits of barefooting as a career move, this might be an investment worth making. Check out the VIVOBAREFOOT Training Clinic website for details.
**
Of course, another way to enhance your knowledge on a particular subject is to do a lot of reading - and when the topic is barefoot running, there are more and more options out there to choose from. One of the most noteworthy offerings comes from another well-known guru, Barefoot Ken Bob Saxton, whose new book Barefoot Running Step by Step is coauthored by Los Angeles Times fitness columnist Roy Wallack.
In the interest of disclosure, I should say that I was interviewed to contribute to this book, and ended up on the cutting room floor (or, in digital parlance, in the recycle bin of the writer’s hard drive.) Roy Wallack contacted me through this website, and we had a long phone conversation about my rationale for taking up barefoot running and whether I was going to stick with barefoot running for life. (This was shortly after I had published my multi-part Barefoot Files series, which is still available for reading on my right sidebar).
I’m not particularly upset about being left out of the book – in fact, now that I’ve read it, my exclusion makes a lot of sense. As I’ve described before, I don’t have a particularly dramatic back story about becoming a barefoot runner; it was just something I had thought about for a while, and one day finally decided to try it. And after an extended, generally successful progression to barefoot running, I ultimately decided that my long-term preference would be to use minimalist footwear for my ongoing exploits in ultrarunning. As it turns out, those factors made me something of an oddball among everyone else featured in the book.
| Barefoot bliss, Summer 2010 |
That’s not to say I disliked the finished product, however. More than anything, Barefoot Running Step By Step is a comprehensive instruction manual for anybody interested in becoming a barefoot runner. It draws heavily from Barefoot Ken Bob’s website, which for many years was the only Internet outpost to provide any instruction or support for barefoot runners. (And honestly, I always found the website quite cumbersome to navigate, so having all the important information in one collection is quite refreshing.) Ken Bob was one of the earliest advocates of barefoot running - his website started in 1997, which is a relative epoch in the timeframe of the modern barefoot movement - and over the course of several years has certainly became the most prominent. He has taught workshops to barefoot runners all over the world, been featured in hundreds of magazine profiles, and has been an easily recognizable fixture at countless road races for the past two decades.
![]() |
| Barefoot Ken Bob; photo from BarefootKenBob.com |
By all accounts, Barefoot Ken Bob is a force of personality, and that spirit is apparent throughout his book, which is filled with humor and strange observations and insightful “Barefoot Ken Bob-isms” developed over many years of experimenting and refining his technique. Several chapters are chock full of helpful advice on proper barefoot form, and the book has extensive color photographs to better visualize the concepts involved. If you’re starting your barefoot endeavors from scratch, this book is an ideal tool to walk you through the process.
Among the material in the final chapters are multiple profiles of barefoot runners, from the famous (Abebe Bikila, Zola Budd) to back of the pack amateurs, all of whom have compelling stories to tell about the benefits of going shoeless. I was impressed to see that one story actually included a runner who had a miserable experience on a gravel path during a race; it echoed my own frustrations with running on gravel fire roads, which in turn influenced my preference for minimalist footwear.
That leads to the main criticism I have of Ken Bob’s book: he’s very dismissive of minimalist footwear, Vibrams in particular. The rationale is that your sensory feedback isn’t as good as when you’re barefoot – but the authors also make the claim that because of this, you’re more likely to get injured wearing Vibrams than you are by running purely barefoot. I happen to disagree with this point; it’s well-established that plenty of new barefoot runners develop injuries, and I believe the benefits you gain from a bit of protection outweigh the sensory advantage of having naked feet. In my opinion, successful progression hinges more on patience and proper form than on sensation or protection.
Aside from that point of contention, Barefoot Running Step By Step is a very thorough overview of the why and the how of barefoot running. It would be a valuable tool for novices, and I’m confident that even experienced barefoot runners would find some useful pointers. It’s unlikely that many of us have been at this longer than Barefoot Ken Bob, and it’s never a bad idea to seek the advice of our forerunners when trying to improve our own experience.
Barefoot Running Step By Step retails for $15 from Amazon.com and is also available for $10 on Amazon's Kindle. Also, in conjunction with this review, the book’s publisher has generously agreed to ship one copy directly to a winner selected from this post. Leave a comment below to enter, and I’ll announce the winner on September 17th. Good luck to everyone!
*Product provided by Fair Winds Press
**See other book and product reviews on sidebar at right. If you have a product you’d like reviewed, contact me at info@runningandrambling.com.
Get updates as soon as they're posted! Click here to subscribe to Running and Rambling.
Check out the Running Life book for a collection of our most popular columns.


51 comments:
It sounds as if the author wishes to disregard the fact that we don't all live in temperate climates, and while we embrace minimal running, we prefer to have something on our feet, both for warmth and to help keep our feet a bit more on the cleaner side of things.
Meeting Ken Bob was a great benifit of running the Naked Foot 5K in Grand Rapids a couple of weeks ago. As he ran up next to us he joked for about 1/2 mile before he took off. What an amazing guy.
After I answer questions about why I wear softstar shoes people generally look at me as if I'm walking around in KenBob's running attire, beard and all. He's quite the personality and I'd love to have his book.
Thanks for the review. I tend to disagree with the purely barefoot method as well, a little protection can be important. In Danny Abshire's Natural Running he points out that natural barefoot running didn't evolve on man made surfaces. There are man made hazards to consider when considering barefoot running.
Thanks for the insightful review. I'm actually documenting my own foray into the world of barefoot running on my blog, www.gourmettriathlete.com , and I think this book would be a great way to supplement both my training and my writing!
Thanks for the review of this book. I am definitely looking into transitioning into barefoot running and this book looks like a helpful tool to accomplish that.
thanks for the review. i think i'm with you on this one: going all the way barefoot ultimately limits the terrain you can run on and while i do believe that heavily cushioned shoes can be injurious, i think there is a happy medium between no protection and no foot sense and this is what we refer to as "minimalist". i can't help thinking that the real motivation to run barefoot (as opposed to minimal) is to attract attention...
I think we can use the right protection for each situation. Running on the beach doesn´t need any feet protection (and is very pleasant being barefoot!) but on asphalt is quite different so, in this situation, I prefer using my VFFs.
Barefoot running is awesome. Love to have a copy of the book.
-Chris M
I am just starting to run barefoot and could use a book like this.
Looks good!
Sounds like something I'm certainly interested in. Love the website by the way as I am a new reader here.
sign me up
well, lol, I can't afford that $3000 conference but I sure would look forward to reading this book as continuing my education on the subject! I don't agree or disagree with any current concept of barefoot running, rather that each person finds their comfort level & can run for health & fun!!
I ran the last few miles of the 2001 Palos Verdes Marathon with Ken Bob. I was amazed and asked all the normal questions (doesn't it hurt, etc.), and now that I am a minimalist runner 10 years later, I always look back to that meeting as the starting point for me. Great guy, indeed. Can't wait to read the book.
Barefoot running has always intrigued me. I'd love to read his book. Thanks for the write up!
I wouldn't mind the opportunity for advice... :)
I have been thinking about getting this book for awhile now but getting it free would be sweet!
It looks like a very interesting book to read. Please sign me in for the contest.
Would love a chance to read this book! I also had difficulty with Ken's website, so a narrative might be better.
I think if one ran barefoot on natural surfaces, that provided instance feedback, rather than smoother than a babies bottom concrete or asphalt, I think running barefoot would provide the best feedback. While though I think running barefoot will provide the best feedback, and help from getting injured. I also think though, one must understand how to move barefoot before they start running barefoot to provide the best feedback. I would like the book though.
I'm not sure sure it's well established that barefoot runners get injured when they start. In just about every case I've heard of a "barefoot runner" getting injured, and I've heard of a lot, and personally know four, they hurt themselves while "barefoot running" in minimalist SHOES.
With Ken on this one.
Count me in
please enter me. thanks!
True barefoot running versus minimalist footwear is an ongoing battle in my own training. Maybe with more education on barefoot running I would sway one way or the other...
I had run in VFFs for a year before I worked up the nerve to run barefoot. Now I am roughly at the same point as you; I run barefoot when I can but don't feel bad about wearing something when I need it.
Thanks for the review. I've been barefoot running for about a year and a half now, but could always use some tips/advice/inspiration.
LOVE Barefoot Ken Bob!
Barefoot Todd also has a great Barefoot website linked to Ken Bob's.
Barefoot Todd recently completed his 100th barefoot Marathon!
Peace and Love,
Andy
Great review. Count me in!
Seems like a nice read ... pick me ! NOW ! ;)
its great to see more books coming out on the topic of barefoot running, and especially from Ken Bob. The minimalist movement has bcome a real force, which I appreciate. Choice is a good thing - so I agree with you when you say that you don't side with Ken when it comes to Vibrams. Some may find barefoot isn't for them (me), others may stick with their "traditional" shoes (not me), and some may fall in between (finally me). What the movement and great books like this have done is broaden the conversation. Looking forward to reading it, whether I win it or need to buy it. But I'd rather win it.
Great review, Donald. I'm with you, minimalist for protection, but love what Ken Bob and others have done for improving attention to form. The more we can get people to run easily and without injury the better opportunity there will be to improve people's health and fitness.
Sounds like a book that would be a good resource and good for sharing with others interested in giving barefooting a try.
Sounds like a good book to read and share.
Thanks for the insightful review, I've a couple of "barefoot" books, but haven't got hold of this one yet. I'm with most of you - bareshod.
I've been thinking about buying this for a while but always seem to find something else to read, pick me to win and you could solve that.
I ran barefoot for the first time on Sunday. I was out for a run in my Altra Adams, and the arch of my left foot started cramping. I took off the shoes, and was able to run the last mile home with almost no discomfort. I plan on continuing to run barefoot as i transition to minimalist shoes
Very informative review!
I am currently experementing a bit with shoes with a smaller heel-to-toe drop.
If I will ever become a real barefoot runner? Time will tell.
Havent completely dove in to the barefoot movement, but very interested. Great review, and cant wait to read the book!
I'm gonna run in shoeboxes until I learn something from this book.
Please include me in this contest
Thnks,
Alex
I've had the pleasure of running with BFKB a couple of times and would love to win a copy of his book!
Barefeet!
I'm barefoot while typing this.
Hoping to improve my barefoot technique!
Sounds cool. I'm up for the contest
I just stumbled on this site by accident while looking for good resources on barefoot running. I just started barefoot running (with vibrams) and I can see already that this type of running for me causes much less shin pain due to my flat feet. This is the reason I started this process was all the positive comments I've seen online regarding flatfooted runners. I'll be reading the rest of this blog over the next week! Thanks for writing this!
I'd like to have a copy of the book so he BFKB can sign it for me when I meet him in NYC Barefoot Run...or he may just curse at me for wearing VFFs:/ Thanks for all your insights and reviews, it's always a welcomed email. - Kirby
I am 8 weeks into barefoot running and would love to have a copy of this book. It has been quite a transition, but I know I will need something on my feet this winter (given where I live).
Best of luck to all!
So much I don't know about barefoot running... maybe winning this book would help!
I live near Ken Bob and often see him out running or walking his dogs. Super nice guy, always friendly and supportive.
Post a Comment