September 5, 2011

New CLIF Bar Giveaway Contest: CLIF Bars, CLIF CRUNCH, CLIF MOJO

Right from the start, I knew this product review would be one of those good news / bad news situations.

It’s good news because the company involved is CLIF Bar, whose products I love and actions I greatly admire. They’ve been generous supporters of my website for a long time now, so I’m always willing to get involved with publicizing any new items or initiatives they need help promoting.


The bad news – for me, at least – is that the first shipment that arrived didn’t have anything I was especially eager to taste. The box contained three varieties of CLIF Bars: a brand new Coconut Chocolate Chip flavor that was introduced this summer, as well as reformulations of two previously existing flavors, Peanut Toffee Buzz and Apricot.


Another dose of CLIF love

See, here’s my problem: I pretty much hate the taste of coconut. Always have. As luck would have it, I’m not a big toffee fan, either. And when it comes to my favorite fruits, I can tell you that apricots fall quite far down the list. It’s fair to say that I have some idiosyncrasies when it comes to food, and this batch of goodies from CLIF Bar just happened to strike all the wrong notes.

My quirky hang-ups turned out to be great news for my family, all of whom were more than happy to step in and assist with this particular round of testing. And this review will prove to be great news for a few of my readers, who will receive a sampler prize pack of all the new products described here – so let’s run down the specs and get to it.


Product photos courtesy CLIF Bar and Company

First up is the new CLIF Bar Coconut Chocolate Chip flavor, which features toasted coconut along with plenty of chocolate chips. This one received unanimous approval from my wife and three kids, and stands out as a somewhat unique flavor in the energy bar category.

Two other CLIF Bars were improvements rather than introductions. As you’d expect from a company of foodies and athletes, the folks at CLIF are driven to continually improve, whether it’s their marathon PRs or the taste and texture of their products. Apparently the Apricot and Peanut Toffee Buzz flavors weren’t quite to their liking, so they enhanced the ingredient list for improved flavor.

The Apricot flavor now features 50 percent more apricots, and has a noticeably more tangy flavor than the old version (yes, I actually tested this one). Peanut Toffee Buzz has more peanut butter and real toffee pieces to enrich the taste; my wife really likes this flavor, although she didn’t have a point of comparison since she had never tried the old version.

**
Obviously the folks in the CLIF labs have had a busy summer – because in addition to the new CLIF Bar flavors, they introduced five new flavors of their other popular products.


CLIF CRUNCH is a crunchy granola bar made with organic ingredients, sold in 10-bar boxes on the shelves of many grocery stores. Their new varieties for the summer are Blueberry Crisp and Chocolate Peanut Butter, two flavors borrowed from the regular CLIF Bar lineup that have a unique taste when formulated in granola bar form.

Blueberry Crisp has always been one of my favorite CLIF Bar flavors, but I think I actually like the CRUNCH variety a little bit better. Since the CRUNCH is firmer and more brittle than a regular CLIF bar, it adds a bit more crispness to the Crisp, if that makes sense.

As for the Chocolate Peanut Butter – an offshoot of the Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch CLIF Bar - its taste kind of reminds me of the Butterfinger candy bars I used to like as a kid, except this grownup version is a lot healthier for you. My kids ate these up pretty quickly as well, so they apparently have a fair amount of candy bar appeal as well. (On a related note, my kids have a ton of healthy options that I never enjoyed while growing up; if they don’t grow up eating better than me, it’s my own dang fault as a parent.)

**
CLIF MOJO is a trail mix bar that is really unlike any other product on the market. It’s made with 70 percent organic ingredients, has a texture that’s pleasantly crispy yet chewy, and a flavor that’s a delicious combination of sweet and salty. This summer, there are three new flavors of MOJO bars to choose from, one of which is absolutely perfect for camping or late night beach fires.

First up, however, is the new Chocolate Almond Coconut flavor, which I had to pass off to my associate testers. They have toasted coconut, chocolate chunks, and whole roasted almonds, and the kids raved about them after finding them in their lunch boxes one day. The White Chocolate Macadamia flavor is another offshoot off an existing CLIF Bar flavor, with roasted macadamia nuts and soy white chocolate chips. This is another of my favorite CLIF flavors, so I really enjoyed the same taste in MOJO version.


However, far and away the favorite flavor of the whole family from this product sampling group was the MOJO Dipped S’Mores. The “Dipped” part means the bottom layer of the already-awesome MOJO bar is dipped in chocolate, making it even awesomer (yes, that’s the right word). The S’Mores part is almost exactly what the name implies, with chocolate chunks and crunchy graham cookies; the only deviation is soy white chocolate bits in place of marshmallows. If there’s a more perfect flavor for lazy summer nights after active summer days, I can’t think of it.

**
So now for the really good news: CLIF has agreed to do a giveaway in conjunction with this review, giving three lucky winners the chance to sample all of the bars mentioned above. If you’re like me and aren’t partial to coconut, trust me, you won’t have any problem finding friends to help you test them. If you happen to love coconut, this prize pack promises to be something fantastic.

Standard entry rules apply for this one: leave a comment below this post to enter by midnight on Friday, and I’ll select three winners at random and announce them before next weekend’s Random Shots of Beauty post. Very big thanks to CLIF Bar and Company for sponsoring this contest, and good luck to everyone!

*Products provided by CLIF Bar and Company
**See other product reviews on sidebar at right. If you have a product you'd like reviewed, contact me at info@runningandrambling.com.



Get updates as soon as they're posted! Click here to subscribe to Running and Rambling. Check out the Running Life book for a collection of our most popular columns.

103 comments:

Justine 9/5/11, 9:04 PM  

Thanks for all your great reviews and giveaways! Would love to sample some good eats from CLIF!!

SP 9/5/11, 9:22 PM  

I love the pretzel and peanut butter mojo bars...I would love to try these too!

Enfermero 9/5/11, 9:26 PM  

I'm getting hungry already.

Eric 9/5/11, 9:42 PM  

Coconut is yummy.

John,  9/5/11, 10:12 PM  

America!

komickid 9/5/11, 10:32 PM  

Looks like some tasty treats to have after a hard run!

Dave 9/5/11, 10:46 PM  

I'd love to sample these bars!

krystyna47 9/5/11, 11:21 PM  

Count me in! I love all things coconut (and ALL things Clif!)

Jon Paul 9/6/11, 3:07 AM  

Sounds delish. I'm in.

James 9/6/11, 3:23 AM  

Love me some tasty Clif bars!

matt 9/6/11, 4:17 AM  

Clif bars. Yummy

Unknown 9/6/11, 4:19 AM  

I love CLIF bars and they are my staple for long bike rides and long HIM training sessions this summer.
I also love them as a quick go-to breakfast when I am "crunched" for time! lol (funny-I know)

I happen to LOVE coconut and have yet to see the coconut one here in Maine but I have tried the PB Toffee Buzz and it's good!

Adam 9/6/11, 4:22 AM  

Yeah I'd love to win some Clif stuff. It's been too long since I've been able to buy anything

JAB 9/6/11, 4:55 AM  

Love the blog...and a big fan of Clif Shots.

Dave 9/6/11, 5:11 AM  

Who doesn't love CLIF bars!!!

Unknown 9/6/11, 5:44 AM  

Those toffee buzz bars are great.

Adam B. 9/6/11, 6:10 AM  

Add me to the list. I love the Mojo bars!

runningfarmer 9/6/11, 6:45 AM  

As much as the plain ol' Cliff Bars have been a standard for me (so glad back in the day when there was finally an option to Power Bars)I now prefer the Mojo. I appreciate Cliff's commitment to organic ingredients. Sign me up.

migangelo 9/6/11, 6:47 AM  

i think it's my turn to win something and i love coconut!

seung.kim 9/6/11, 6:49 AM  

Thanks for all your reviews and giveaways. I've been strictly a road runner, but your blog has gotten me interested in trail running.

*~*~* Tracy 9/6/11, 6:52 AM  

I love coconut and chocolate and toffee and peanut butter! Yes, I run so I can eat. :D
Count me in!

B 9/6/11, 6:59 AM  

I love coconut too! Yum.

Wayne 9/6/11, 7:05 AM  

I want to try something CRUNCHY! That has always been the one thing lacking in Clif bars, though I love that they work in all temperatures neither melting to oblivion nor turning into a piece of stone. Yes please!

Jay Fast 9/6/11, 7:11 AM  

Some of my favorite flavors, hope I win!

Rose Tatman,  9/6/11, 7:11 AM  

What's not to like? but the standard mojo is still king!

Unknown 9/6/11, 7:16 AM  

Love me some CLIF Bar!

Jason 9/6/11, 7:22 AM  

Haven't run across the Coconut yet, but would love to try some!

Lisa 9/6/11, 7:56 AM  

I love the Clif Crunch. They are so, so yummy!

BE 9/6/11, 8:12 AM  

I do like Cliff products in general, and would be delighted to try the new ones. As always, thanks much!

Lucid Moon Studio 9/6/11, 8:42 AM  

I love coconut, so I would love a chance to win some samples! Thanks for the giveaway!!

Kevin 9/6/11, 9:11 AM  

I eat Clif Bars on long runs. They are tasty!

lostinacrowd 9/6/11, 9:25 AM  

One of these days I'm going to win. You'll see!

Knuckles Buchanan 9/6/11, 9:26 AM  

The new coconut chocolate chip Mojo bars are fantastic.

Eric 9/6/11, 9:36 AM  

These sound tasty. Love to try the coconut.

Sean 9/6/11, 10:08 AM  

I have got to try that Coconut Chocolate Chip!

Anonymous,  9/6/11, 10:26 AM  

omg i love clif bar. that package would have been heaven to me!

Gerald C. 9/6/11, 10:37 AM  

I love CLIF Bars, but I have yet to try the MOJO's. After seeing that they have the S'mores flavor, I am definitely going to be picking up some! Great article!

jbgodf,  9/6/11, 10:52 AM  

Love Clif! New flavors sound great. Thanks.

Unknown 9/6/11, 11:07 AM  

The coconut chocolate one looks awesome.

Joseph L 9/6/11, 11:40 AM  

Thanks for contest!

Anonymous,  9/6/11, 12:18 PM  

I love your pics of the Clif factory!

Wendy,  9/6/11, 12:22 PM  

The Coconut Chocolate Chip sounds like a Seven Layer Bar - in a Clif Bar! Yummy

painn3ck 9/6/11, 2:12 PM  

Love to ride with Clif bars on the bike!

Kelly 9/6/11, 2:29 PM  

Wonderful! I would love to win this.

rbrown10 9/6/11, 3:39 PM  

Count me in! (Though I'll be passing on the coconut as well)

John Nguyen 9/6/11, 3:57 PM  

Those Mojo bars sound good!

Anonymous,  9/6/11, 4:14 PM  

Yum, Clif!

I like coconut, but I'll still share :)

-Elaine

Marc Meyer 9/6/11, 4:46 PM  

Great write-up as usual Donald. A big fan of CLIF products.

Fincher 9/6/11, 5:32 PM  

I will eat just about anything haha

Jean 9/6/11, 5:37 PM  

Ooh ooh, choose me please!

Anonymous,  9/6/11, 6:13 PM  

Coconut is a strange flavor. Sometimes it hits the spot and yet at other times not so much. hah hah Thanks for the review.

Anonymous,  9/6/11, 8:29 PM  

I can not stand the taste/ texture of Coconut, my wife has to sneak it into anything that she wants me to eat with it.

Josh 9/6/11, 8:38 PM  

I love me some coconut! thanks!

Wilson Marinez,  9/6/11, 9:26 PM  

I love coconut anything!

wirehairedrunner 9/6/11, 10:08 PM  

Donald, sorry you don't like coconut. I sure do. Love your candid and spot-on reviews. Thanks!

Joey N,  9/6/11, 10:43 PM  

Sign me up too!

Robb 9/7/11, 12:02 AM  

I MUST try coconut.

Advid 9/7/11, 12:05 AM  

I would love to try them. :)

(outside USA)

Not Really My Name 9/7/11, 2:59 AM  

CLIF just seems lke such an ethical company. YES PLEASE!@!!

Unknown 9/7/11, 4:52 AM  

I can't get this where I live...
I'd love to win some Clif stuff.

mainerunner 9/7/11, 7:01 AM  

I'm "coco" for the coconut, I'll be blue without the blueberry and I'm "more" than ready for s'more s'mores!!

Kevin 9/7/11, 7:18 AM  

Sounds like great additions to Clif flavors.

Anonymous,  9/7/11, 7:56 AM  

MMMMMMmm Clif Bars, sign me up!

Rory dela Paz 9/7/11, 8:32 AM  

Would love to try these flavors!

Anonymous,  9/7/11, 10:08 AM  

That new coconut bar sounds sooo good! Please sign me up...thx!

Greg from Madison,  9/7/11, 11:33 AM  

Count me in.

TheRunningNobody 9/7/11, 1:40 PM  

Yay ! Finally a bar that is actually healthy and tastes like real coconut... i can now drop my bounty crave !!

Count me in !

Anonymous,  9/7/11, 1:55 PM  

Cant wait to try the coconut flavor.

betsy_349 at hotmail dot com

Amanda 9/7/11, 2:10 PM  

Can't wait to try the Blueberry one!

derscott 9/7/11, 6:10 PM  

I love coconut! I'll eat all of the coconut ones that you don't eat.

Unknown 9/7/11, 6:36 PM  

Absolutely love Clif stuff! Thanks for doing this.

Thomas O,  9/7/11, 8:06 PM  

Gotta love Clif bars.

Mike F 9/7/11, 8:33 PM  

I'm coo coo for coco clif!

RunningLaur 9/7/11, 9:07 PM  

I've been searching all of my local haunts to try out the coconut, I think it looks delicious!

Ford4x460 9/8/11, 4:38 AM  

I would love to try all of them.

Eddie 9/8/11, 4:41 AM  

Tossing my name in the hat.....love clif bars!

Anonymous,  9/8/11, 5:05 AM  

Interesting new flavors.... big cliff bar fan!

Hoby 9/8/11, 5:54 AM  

I love coconut, count me in!

The Fam 9/8/11, 6:40 AM  

These new flavors look delish!

shannoncarman at yahoo dot com

andrew 9/8/11, 7:31 AM  

Apricot lives again. My favorite!

Joey C,  9/8/11, 10:09 AM  

I love CLIF bars too!

Yakov 9/8/11, 10:55 AM  

Great giveaway! I'm a fan of the Peanut Butter Crunch bars, but I've never tried any of the mojo bars.

brendaroo 9/8/11, 12:29 PM  

Cliff's are my favorite

nhill,  9/8/11, 1:52 PM  

I'm in for free Clif Bars!

SpencerV,  9/8/11, 2:49 PM  

I would really like some free food.

Akemi,  9/8/11, 4:47 PM  

Those look delicious!

shel 9/9/11, 5:24 AM  

mmmmm coconuts. tastes like suntan lotion from the late 80s.....

Active Dad 9/9/11, 12:19 PM  

They all sound awesome. Can't wait to be able to find them in stores.

cheercfa07 9/10/11, 7:42 PM  

I love the Mojo Bars!

--Meagan

Barbara 9/11/11, 8:33 PM  

My kids and I LOVE Mojo bars!

runningfarmer 10/26/11, 3:16 PM  

Donald, thanks again for the giveaway. I just polished off my last CLIF bar and finished my product review over on my blog. Here is the link if you care to take a look. Gave you a shout out. Cheers.

http://runningfarmer.blogspot.com/2011/10/clif-bar-review.html

Melanie,  1/26/12, 7:46 AM  

So good that they dont taste healthy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP