GU Roctane Energy Drink Review; GU Sampler Giveaway Contest
Before today’s giveaway post, a reminder that there’s another contest still going on, for a pair of New Balance Minimus Zero Trail shoes - so go sign up if you haven’t already.
**
Now that spring is here and I’m ramping up my training mileage with some races on the horizon, I’m spending more time tinkering with fluid and calorie replacement issues out on the trail. Consequently, the timing of today’s giveaway was extremely fortunate, because it gave me a chance to try a new product from GU Energy, a company whose products have pulled me through countless tough miles.
Oh, and have I mentioned that there’s a giveaway involved? Not only that, but the prize is much better for you than it was for me: in addition to getting to try the product I was testing, you’ll also get a sampler of old and new GU products to fuel your endurance adventures this spring and summer. But before I get to the details, indulge me in a brief rundown of the product I tested.
You may recall that earlier this year I hosted a giveaway for GU Roctane Energy Drink before the product was even released – you may also recall that I didn’t get to actually test the stuff myself. (Not that I’m bitter – in fact, the whole thing ended in a cool way, with one devoted reader making a video that earned him the prize. I’m still impressed with that one.) Needless to say, I was happy for an opportunity to finally try the stuff myself after a sampler pack of all three flavors – Fruit Punch, Grape, and Lemon-Lime – arrived on my doorstep a few weeks ago.
| GU Roctane Energy Drink |
As I described it back in January, Roctane drink mix is to regular GU Brew sort of like Roctane gel is to regular GU. Each serving contains 240 calories of complex and simple carbs that are optimized for rapid absorption and accessibility, along with electrolytes and other supplements for sustained performance during long-duration aerobic activity.
Interestingly, the sodium and potassium levels in Roctane drink are lower than they are in regular GU Brew, although it’s tough to tell at first glance because the serving sizes of the two are different. However, it’s the additional ingredients that set Roctane drink apart: taurine to support heart and muscle performance, beta-alanine to improve muscle buffering capacity, branch chain amino acids to reduce muscle damage and delay fatigue, and histidine to help buffer pH during exercise.
Another upgrade from an ultrarunning standpoint is the addition of caffeine, which is absent from regular GU Brew. The grape Roctane drink flavor is caffeine-free, but the other two flavors have 35mg of caffeine per serving to keep your brain alert during long hot days or long dark nights. Combine the caffeine boost with the rest of the nutritional profile, and the Roctane drink would definitely be my preference on race day if it’s available.
From a taste standpoint, Roctane drink has a similarly mild flavor as GU Brew, which is one of the main reasons I’ve always preferred GU drinks over other brands. I typically dilute mine much thinner than the serving instructions, but even at full strength there isn’t an excessively sweet taste. Of course, taste is subjective, which is how we’ll segue to the part you’ve been waiting for: the big giveaway.
Two winners chosen at random from the comments below will receive a few packets of each GU Roctane Energy Drink mix flavor to try for yourselves – but to “sweeten” the deal, GU is throwing in a couple of other goodies. Each winner will also receive one of these:
A GU Performance Energy sampler pack with multiple flavors of regular GU and three flavors of GU Roctane gel, plus sample packets of GU Chomps, GU Electrolyte Brew and GU Recovery Brew. Pretty cool, huh? Now how much would you pay to enter? But wait, there’s more …
You’ll also receive samples of GU’s newly released Chocolate Smoothie Recovery Brew. This is another item that I’ve never tried myself, but two of my readers will get the privilege of testing them out.
We’ll do the regular “one comment, one entry” system on this one, with one small twist to help tilt the odds in favor of endurance athletes. If you’re signed up for a trail ultra or long-distance triathlon this spring or summer, tell me the name of the race in the comments below, and I’ll put your name in for an additional entry. Winners will be announced Saturday night, April 21st.
Thanks very much to GU Energy for sponsoring this contest, and good luck to everybody!
*Products provided by GU Energy
**If you have a product you’d like reviewed, contact me at info@runningandrambling.com.
Get updates as soon as they're posted! Click here to subscribe to Running and Rambling.
Check out the Running Life book for a collection of our most popular columns.

103 comments:
I'm just starting to practice fueling for longer races...and I'd love to try these! I tried some Gu Chomps the other day, and they were great.
I love GU products. And I'm signed up for the Honu 1/2 IM in June over in Kona.
Awesome! Sign me up! I've always wanted to try out a recovery drink. Thanks for the opportunity!
I love the roctane stuff, especially the special Kona flavor from a few years back. Thanks for doing this!
I'm a huge proponent of Gu products for the very reasons you mention -- great mix of ingredients, and very mild taste. Also seems easier on my stomach than others, perhaps due to lower sugar content. Love it!
I should have signed up for a longer triathlon. I'm only doing a sprint triathlon (still should take an hour and a half)
Oooh, count me in, Gu is one of my favourite products ever. If I could eat it for breakfast, I would!! :D
Sign me up! Just now getting into longer trail distances where these would come in handy..thanks!
Yay, at last my registration to Laugavegur is starting to pay off.
Two entry for me since i signed up for the Laugavegur Ultra marathon in Iceland this July : http://marathon.is/ultramarathon
Count me in for an entry... even though I just ordered a bunch of GU.
Awwwwhhh please. . .I want to win this time :) Pretty please with a load of gu chomps on top.
I have made 3 orders of GU in the past few months with this marathon training. good stuff
I use GU but it is unfortunately quite expensive here in South Africa. I use it only during my main goal races. I'm training for the Rhodes Trail Ultra on 14 July.
This would probably help me get through Timberman :-)
sweet!!! literally!!! that looks like a big box full of ultrarunner candy there!! I'm doing the Cremator 50 in july, my first ultra:
Lowcountryultras.com
(Why the link is dead, I don't know)
see you at Leadville dude
Hey man,
Awesome giveaway - as always!
I'm signed up for The North Face 100, Wild Endurance, which are both next month (and am thinking the Inaugural Salomon Surf Coast Century in September. All three races are in Australia, all three are 100km, and all three should see my new VFF Spyridons. Woooooot!!!
Thanks a bundle
Tegyn
I would love to try these!
Just one entry for me...I'm training for a half marathon this spring, then a full in the fall to see if I have it in me to do a 50k next spring.
THanks!
As a regular GU gel user I'd enjoy trying other products - thanks much.
Count me in. Will be running Jemez Mountain 50, Mt. Taylor 50k, and Javelina Jundred. Thanks!
Love GU. Really need the sampler for training for my first 50k in July
GU are my choice for gels. Would love to try their other products!
I'm running a 50K leg in a 100-mile relay at Kettle100 in WI this June, and a 50-mile in Sept.
Training for Highlands Sky 40mile Trail Run in June! I'd definitely try their products.
Love Roctane Gels! Signed up for Greenland 50k and Silver Rush 50.
Love Roctane... signed up for Mooseman 1/2 Iron and the Cheasapeake Iron Distance Tri in September of this year... going to need some fuel
Whoo- great giveaway Donald!
I have a big event July 21st this year which will be the biggest endurance test of my life- having a baby!
Hey I'm going to be training for a fall marathon in the summer heat way down south, I need all the help I can get
Sign me up. Love the roctane
Sign me up!
Need something new
to get me through
the long and winding trail...maybe Gu?
TRT 50M in July
I love your giveaways!
I started using the gels at my last race and was really happy with them.
Ooh me! me! count me in. I love GU. Did my last long run yesterday and had the triple berry, chocolate, and mandarin orange at miles 8, 16, and 21 respectively.
Great giveaway. I'm PLANNING to sign up for Run Woodstock 50k, but being on a student budget I need to save up before I can pay my entry.
Haven't tried any of the brew yet, but love the gels. Count in me in for an entry, thanks!
Would love to tr it all out, freebies always make the risk of trying new things out easier.
I'll be at the Memorial Herman IM Texas 5/19/12.
Sign me up for 2 please.
Expedition Man Tri, Lake Tahoe Nevada
Count me in. I am signed up for a trail race next month, but it's only a 15 miler :-(
Count me in :)
I've mainly used Hammer products and haven't even tried GU, maybe this will give me an excuse to switch.
Have never tried GU but would love the opportunity!
I always avoided the stuff until recently and now I think its amazing! heres my post on gels http://www.preliveson.com/2012/03/chuggin-gels-while-running.html
Why avoid something that will give you a boost? Cheers to me winning this one!
I'm In!
Yes! I've been thinking about adding this to my items to try!
I'd love to give some more GU products a try!
<a href="http://runcapon50k.com/>Capon 50K in May</a>
I received the pre-release Rocktane mix in the dead of winter, I'm just now getting to prove its worth. Good taste and seems to provide what I need on multi-hour runs. Much sweeter than Heed which is good, but not too sweet. Get you some.
Sign me up please! And for a bonus entry I'll be running the Sunsweet Wildflowers 50k on Saturday. Thanks!
Count me in! I'm running Pigtails 200 in a few weeks, Dirty Dozen 12 hour and Run de Vous 100 to finish up the summer (with a few more for fall/winter!)
http://sites.google.com/site/pigtailschallenge/
http://brazenracing.com/dirtydozen.html
http://www.run-de-vous.com/
All Day!
~Ken
Sign me up! I'm just getting into longer distances where this would be handy :)
Wow. This looks awesome. Perfect for my training for the Foothills Frenzy 50k in Boise, ID!
That sample pack looks amazing- sign me up for sure! I'm new to GU products and that looks like a great way to try them all!
sign me up please, thanks!
All in for the Gu! I use Gu gels on every long run and have for my 2 years of competitive training.
Great!
I would love to have these Gu products. I am signed up for the Run For Kids 50k on May 5th here in Birmingham.
One entry for me, please
I loooove Roctane Gu. Sign me up.
I'm currently testing Hammer products in prevision for my ultra and would love to try Rocktane and compare!
Forgot to say that I'm registered to Laugavegur ultra in Iceland. 55km of beautiful trails!
I'd love to try these products! I love GU!
Chocolate Smoothie Recovery?!? PLEASE put me in the contest! Thanks...Don
I'd love to try these, especially the new smoothie!
The regular GU helped me get through the NYC marathon and I'd love to try the new stuff!
I'm not doing any races (sadly) as I'm still working up my endurance past the 10k level, but I would love to try these to help with training.
yeah, GU is always my favorite..
email: itaotsai@gmail.com
I use GU interested in Roctane drink.
Will be running Miwok 100K in May along with Ohlone 50K.
Thanks
Jeff
I would love the sampler pack! Training for my first triathlon too so the brew could be useful. Marathon isn't till next fall though, unfortunately
Perhaps I should've put training over school. Oh well. Thanks for the giveaway. And it's nice to see a company continue to make innovations.
Never tried the GU drinks. But would be interested in trying them for the Labor Pains 12 hour run. http://www.pretzelcitysports.com/laborpain.html
Please sign me up! I've recently started using GU Chomps and would love to try some addition GU products.
Chocolate Smoothie Gu? Shut up!
Can't wait until Rush Running gets a shipment of Roctane drink mix in.
Tragically not signed up for anything! Too hard to commit when I may have to move soon. Sniff!
Woohoo GU brew! I'm only signed up for an Olympic- spud man tri, but at my pace, it's like an endurance event!
Sounds like Fun to run with GU products. They are my go to when trail running.
I plan on using them on my Wasatch 100 run in Sept.
Love Roctane
Hello,
No races on the agenda, but the brew'd help me on my training runs, too.
Take care
Jurgen
Thanks for the contest,, Gut Check's King of the Hill race series .. Good Luck everyone!!
1) I use Roctane and regular Gu for fueling but I'm curious to try the Roctane energy drink.
2) If 50K races count: Grand Ridge 50K in Issaquah, WA.
Dang that's a lot of stuff, count me in.
I love gu on the trails, and especially chomps for those times when I want the distraction of actually eating something.
My next trail ultra is the Rachel Carson Trail Challenge - 35 miles on unimproved, no switchbacks, hope you don't get lost, trails. A great way to spend my birthday!
Cant get GU where I live but sure would like to sample them.
I would also like to run but injury is keeping me sidelined for now - maybe some ultra in autumn.
I would dig some.
Use GU products all of the time. My next race is Tahoe Rim Trail in July.
You want me to name just one of the trail ultras I'm signed up for? :-)
Ok, how about one of the longer ones: Waldo 100k.
Thanks!
enHoping to take part with the wife in a 70.3 this summer, maybe in Muncie. And, maybe the StumpJump 50k.
I'm down for some GU product
Loyal GU user signed up for Jemez 50 and all 4 Capt'n Karl's 60K races this summer put on by Tejas Trails. Would love to try new products!
Count me in
I would love this sampler for my upcoming NF50(Bear Mnt, NY) and of course, my debut 100-mi in June (WS100!) Thanks Donald!
I love the GU gels. It would be great to try out their other products.
I'd love to try some of the new products from GU.
I love GU chomps and their electrolyte tablets. This sounds like a sweet deal :)
Love me some GU! I have the Ohlone 50K coming up in a little over a month.
Just one entry for me. No ultras (yet).
No ultras
That chocolate looks delicious.
Would love to win! I am also signed up for the North Coast 24 hour! My first ultra! :)
I would love to try out these products.
Would love to try. I'm doing the Kiawah Triathlon and FATS 50k in Sept/Oct. Does that count?
Whoop! thanks
Am I too late?! Please say no!
-Jean
Trying as many different fuels as possible as I train for Leadville this year, would love to check something like this out.
Ben
Post a Comment