October 7, 2010

CLIF SHOT BLOK Tropical Punch Review (and Giveaway!)

A couple of administrative notes before we get rolling …

1) Today’s post is another CLIF giveaway, but I’m equally happy to report another philanthropic promotional effort the company is currently conducting. They recently grabbed their 10,000th Facebook fan, and for every new fan they get over the next three months (or 5,000 new fans, whichever comes first), they’ll contribute an additional dollar to their ongoing environmental initiatives through 1% for the Planet. Join CLIF’s Facebook page to help them out. I did it as well – and if you know my feelings about Facebook, you know that’s really saying something about how much I like this company.

2) This Saturday I’ll be running in the Firetrails 50, a classic Northern California ultra which holds a special place in my heart, as I’ll explain in more detail afterward. If you’re on course and see a mid-pack runner shuffling along in a Wilderness Running Company T-shirt and minimalist footwear, feel free to say something encouraging – I’ll probably need it.

Now on to the fun stuff! I’ve already described how my peek inside CLIF headquarters last spring involved a fair amount of secrecy about information I heard and products I saw in various stages of development. For the most part, all of the things we learned were cause for celebration, but there was one bit of news that dismayed me: the cola flavor of CLIF BLOKS had been discontinued. It’s no secret around here that I’m something of a cola junkie, so I immediately felt a pang of sorrow about the loss of my favorite flavor.

(Not only that, but I immediately started hoarding my remaining supply at home, and became WAY too analytical about when to use them; it was like I had to assess whether a particular workout was “cola-worthy” before dipping into the dwindling reserves. Yes, I get far too attached to things sometimes.)

Fortunately, CLIF had a pretty strong new flavor lined up: tropical punch, which I was able to sample on my spring visit, and which I’ve been using in training for the past few weeks. The taste reminds me of the old Hawaiian Punch drink I used to love as a kid, but the sweetness is much more subdued. It’s not quite cola-good, but it’s a pretty strong entry – in fact, I’d probably rank it as my third-favorite BLOK flavor currently offered.

And before you ask, here’s my completely subjective rankings of all eight flavors:

Black Cherry: This flavor rocks: awesome cherry taste, a full shot of caffeine, and best of all, no pit!
Strawberry: I love strawberries; you know this already.
Tropical Punch: Like Hawaiian Punch for grown-ups, plus a half-shot of caffeine
Margarita: For obvious reasons. This flavor also has 3X the sodium of other flavors, like salt on the rim of your glass.
Mountain Berry: Like a berry smoothie, except not frozen … or smooth, for that matter.
Orange: Nothing against this flavor and the one below, but I don’t like gel or block flavors that remind me of old-school Gatorade. Call it a quirk.
Lemon Lime: Ditto.
Cran-Razz: I’m not a big cranberry guy. Just one of those things.

Numbers 1 through 8, top to bottom
As indicated above, the new tropical punch flavor gives you 25mg of caffeine in addition to the calories and electrolytes you need for sustained endurance. CLIF calls this a “half-shot”, equivalent to a half-cup of coffee; two flavors (tropical punch and orange) have the 25mg dose, while black cherry has 50mg. The others are caffeine-free.

Like other CLIF BLOKS, I’ve found the tropical punch flavor fairly easy to chew in relation to other blocks on the market, and they don’t stick to my teeth very much at all while on the run. I use them in combination with energy gels on long training days; the BLOK packets are nice to carry because each one contains the caloric and electrolyte equivalent of two gel packets, and they’re much easier to consume without getting your fingers all sticky. Switching back and forth from BLOKS to gels also helps break the monotony of putting the exact same thing in your system every 40 minutes.

CLIF BLOK love!
Clearly, BLOKS are effective for fueling your long run; that’s exactly what they’re made for. However, another practical benefit was pointed out to me by my wife shortly after our kids got the flu last winter: if you’ve got a kid with an upset stomach who is unable to keep any food down and starts getting progressively weaker from one day to the next because she doesn’t have any appetite, try offering her some CLIF BLOKS. The texture is rapidly digestible, the sodium helps with fluid retention, the calories are enough to provide bare-bones sustenance for a while, and the whole notion of getting to eat something from Dad’s protected stash of goodies is enough to stimulate a hunger drive for a while.

(My wife should really have her own blog, to talk about all the obvious things in life that pass me by, the frustrations of having to point out basic parenting skills to her co-parent, or simply the peculiarities of living with an obsessive-compulsive cola addict. Come to think of it … maybe a wife blog isn’t such a great idea.)

So apparently there’s more than one use for these things … and for a few lucky readers, you’ll get an opportunity to try them however you’d like. Place a comment below, and I’ll randomly pick three winners to receive a sampler box of CLIF BLOKS, which will be heavy on the new tropical punch flavor. Hopefully you’ll get to use them for training rather than sick children, but at least you’ll be prepared for either contingency. Enter the contest by Sunday, October 10 at 5PM PDT, and I’ll announce winners on Sunday night. Good luck!

*Products provided by CLIF Bar and Company


Get Running and Rambling delivered to your inbox! Click here to receive new posts via e-mail.

51 comments:

nseibt 10/7/10, 9:58 PM  

Sounds tasty... count me in the drawing, please.

Chris de Vos 10/8/10, 12:11 AM  

Love the blog! Count me in the drawing!

KovasP 10/8/10, 3:53 AM  

A workout being cola-worthy is a new one to me. I'll have to find something similar for myself. Brownie-worthy?

Unknown 10/8/10, 5:37 AM  

This is the first I heard cola has been discontinued!

krystyna47 10/8/10, 5:44 AM  

Amazing! Clif is my favourite training product, and I've only ever tried orange and strawberry clifblok flavors. Count me in!!

The Dude 10/8/10, 6:00 AM  

Count me in for the drawing. Thanks for the advice from your wife. I have an 18 month old, so kids with stomach flu is right around the corner for me and I need all the help I can get. Feel free to share any other tips from her!

Richard 10/8/10, 6:08 AM  

I've discovered them recently and LOVE them! Tried them for a full day trail run in the High peaks and they did the job well.

Unfortunately the closest dealer is quite far so I have a hard time getting them. Crossing my finger for this contest!

Richard

Adam 10/8/10, 6:27 AM  

The "cola worthy" comment reminds me of the much more inappropriate Seinfeld "sponge worthy" episode with Elaine!

I've never had the cola clif block so I guess I can't comment on their goodness but I do like the tropical punch. A supply of these would be great as I split my nutrition between bloks and GU's!

Shad Mika 10/8/10, 6:39 AM  

Bloks are the only thing that saved my race at Leadville 100 after I lost my stomach at mile 55. I took one every 15 mins for about 4 hours and was able to run from mile 75-100 in just over 5 hours. They ROCK! Brought me back from the dead.

Shad
Boulder CO

Jeff McFarland 10/8/10, 6:53 AM  

Bloks are the only thing I eat while running. I like being able to dose out the calories.

Jeff
Madison WI

Michael Yoon 10/8/10, 7:22 AM  

Bloks are great. Count me in!

Thanks,
Michael
St Louis, MO

JimDog 10/8/10, 7:33 AM  

Would love to try some! And I vote that your wife start her own blog!!!

Sports Dave 10/8/10, 7:47 AM  

Mmmmmmm clif bloks. my favorite.

Kate 10/8/10, 8:08 AM  

I've always wanted to try these. And I hate gatorade, but really like the watery salty koolaid taste of pedialyte. Try it!

Crestina 10/8/10, 8:30 AM  

Tried the Clif Energy Bar and so far, I'm loving it..:-) Would love to try this one. Please pick me. Thanks...:-)

Chris 10/8/10, 8:41 AM  

Good luck at Firetrails!

Phillip Hamilton,  10/8/10, 8:55 AM  

Count me in, Donald.

Jason D. 10/8/10, 8:57 AM  

Love everything Clif, sign me up!

Best of luck with your race this weekend.

Jason D.
Magalia, CA

Mary Parlange 10/8/10, 9:24 AM  

Clif Bloks! Yes, count me in!

tdomina 10/8/10, 9:29 AM  

Love to try. But I'm not feeding half a half-shot of caffeine to a sick kid any time soon!

Jo Lynn 10/8/10, 9:47 AM  

I just discovered the Tropical Punch at a ride this summer. LOVED THEM!
I will see you at the finish line tomorrow - I'll be the one on crutches. :(

brenda 10/8/10, 9:59 AM  

Love the idea for a sick child (or maybe a sick adult?). Have been reading you for a month or two now and really enjoy your blog.

Luke 10/8/10, 10:01 AM  

I love bloks!

Luke
Mountain View, CA

Josh 10/8/10, 10:07 AM  

I'm in! thanks, Josh

Sean 10/8/10, 10:16 AM  

Haven't won one of your give-aways yet. Here's hoping...

Nevin,  10/8/10, 10:46 AM  

Count me in!

shel 10/8/10, 11:27 AM  

i agree with adam - the cola worthy comment is akin to seinfeld's "spongeworthy" when elaine was hording her stash after hearing the manufacturer's were taking the sponge off the market :-)

love the cherry bloks, the only time i use caffeine during an ultra is from those babies - they rock and aren't messy. the only problem i've ever run into is that those suckers get frozen on long winter runs. i solved the problem by packing them closer to my body. obviously not a problem you would have donald :-)

Unknown 10/8/10, 12:45 PM  

A cola flavored gel/block would be welcome indeed. Let's start a campaign to get them out there. I am sick of sweetly fruit flavors by the third one.

Jeff

Nate 10/8/10, 12:46 PM  

I'm in. Haven't tried these yet!

mariko 10/8/10, 1:59 PM  

Yay, thanks for hosting such a fun contest! I tried one of the tropical punch ones, and for some reason it made me really happy. It has a certain flavor that reminded me of those Japanese jelly candies that are wrapped in the rice paper. Count me in, please!

Robb 10/8/10, 2:27 PM  

I think I've entered every one of your giveaways, and never one anything. Hopefully this one will do it!

And I'm sad to see the cola flavor go away too.

Tina @GottaRunNow 10/8/10, 7:13 PM  

Just picked up a package of black cherry and strawberry. I may eat some between gels at the Denver RnR Marathon next weekend.

Tater 10/8/10, 7:58 PM  

I would love to try some BLOKS, Please count me in!

Thanks

canyouimagine 10/8/10, 8:44 PM  

Black Cherry is my stand-by but towards the end of the run the sodium in the Margarita more than makes up for the flavor. I'd love to try the new tropical punch and am sorry that I was not able to try the Cola. Thanks for posting the contest!

Pinkcorker (Renee) 10/8/10, 9:35 PM  

I would love to try the new flavor!
Renee
Tucson, AZ

Sarah 10/9/10, 9:06 AM  

Count me in! Love the clif products. I just recently tried some of the roks that I received in a goody bag.

Caleb 10/9/10, 9:07 AM  

I would love to try the Bloks! Count me in!

Boris T 10/9/10, 12:12 PM  

Count me in! I love their proucts!

Marc,  10/9/10, 3:36 PM  

Dined on margarita clif bloks whhile on a long run this morning and they really hit the spot. Count me in!

Amanda 10/9/10, 5:58 PM  

Mmm yummy, count me in!

mo 10/9/10, 7:53 PM  

Mmm margarita is my fave!

Julie 10/9/10, 10:53 PM  

I didn't even like these until my first 50k where a very nice woman gave them to me when I explained "I am dying" in response to her asking how I was doing. Now I have a new appreciation for them.

Carla 10/10/10, 7:55 AM  

I had my first BLOKS during the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon....but it was dark and I couldn't see the flavor. I'd love to give some more flavors a try. Thanks for the giveaway.

Jcollins76 10/10/10, 7:59 AM  

Would love to win...

sub 9 is NOT mid pack in my book...congrats on a nice run


Jeff
Vallejo

Unknown 10/10/10, 11:45 AM  

I'd be quite happy to replace my typical gel intake with bloks. Hope I come out a winner.

My Life 10/10/10, 2:13 PM  

Never tried cola and now you're making me wish I had... Congrats on Firetrails 50!

SickSocks 10/10/10, 8:43 PM  

Training for first ultra... i tried GU for the first time yesterday. Would like to get my hands on some other products and see whats out there. Thank you for all the great reviews!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP