October 14, 2010

Gist Five Toes Barefoot Running Shoes Review

Now that we’re well into the second year of this whole “barefoot renaissance” business, it’s getting a little hard to tell who’s who sometimes in the world of minimalist footwear.

One case in point is Gist Five Toes, a Santa Barbara-based company that proudly cites the Tarahumara Indians as the inspiration for their design - but instead of producing huarache-style footwear as some other Tarahumara proponents have done, they created a product that seems more inspired by the Vibram company.

Gist Dirt Runner
In fact, your first impression of Gist may be to label them as a Vibram FiveFingers knockoff – and honestly, you’d be well within your rights to think so. Even their name – a term for the essential part or meaning of something – seems to acknowledge the obvious: the essential noticeable feature of these shoes is the toe-glove styling that Vibram pioneered, made popular, and until very recently, manufactured exclusively. And calling them "Five Toes" in comparison to FiveFingers seems like a gimmick to trap misinformed Google searchers.  For the record, though, the company’s website says their name comes from the belief that “running is the gist of life,” which is certainly a tough one for me to dispute. So I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Nevertheless, it would take something pretty phenomenal to make a new product that looks almost exactly like the industry leader and somehow distinguish yourself as a reasonable alternative. Gist doesn’t quite reach that mark with its first footwear models, but it has some compelling features that could eventually earn it some market share in the ever expanding minimalist arena.


Contoured 5mm rubber outsole
Their product offerings currently consist of two models: Gist Originals for road running and general all-purpose use, and Dirt Runners, which are the model I’ve been testing recently. The underside is very similar in appearance to Vibrams, with a 5mm rubber outsole that wraps around the tops of the toes in front, and attaches to a performance fabric upper. The upper has a thicker rip-proof material above the toes, and transitions to a ventilated mesh on the midfoot area.


Mesh upper with zipper closure
The most distinguishing feature of the upper is the zipper fastener which allows for very easy on/off function. You don’t have to do nearly as much toe curling and wiggling to get into a pair of Gists as you do with FiveFingers. My biggest fears when I saw the zipper were 1) that it would be uncomfortable against my skin, and 2) that the fastener would bounce when I ran. The first concern is solved with a sturdy fabric layer between the zipper and the skin, and the second issue was noticeable, but not distracting or uncomfortable in my testing.

Low-profile, strapless uppers
This zipper is also the only means of adjusting the fit of the Dirt Runners; there are no straps around the heel or on the forefoot as many Vibram wearers are accustomed to. While this is great for convenience, it makes the overall fit of the shoes a little unpredictable. I had some occasional impingement issues on the front of the toes (in particular, for some odd reason, at the third toe) that typically resolved when I could shift my foot back into the heel cup, but I found myself wanting to secure this fit through the heel and arch a little bit better to keep my toes off the front end, especially when running on hills.

(One point of disclosure that should be pointed out here is that structurally, the Dirt Runners have more in common with Vibram’s strapless Classic FiveFingers model, which I’ve never owned or tested. Therefore, it might be unfair to compare them to the Vibram KSO, but since 1) that model is the most prevalent among runners, and 2) it’s one that I’m familiar with, that’s what I used as a point of comparison. For whatever that’s worth.)

Separation of outsole from upper
Another construction glitch that I discovered was some spotty separation of the upper from the outsole material. This tends to happen in high flexion areas, and the picture above was taken after about 50 miles on the shoes, so long-term durability would definitely be a concern here.

Where Gist excels is in ground feel and overall weight. The 5mm outsole feels more flexible than Vibram’s KSO, and allows a very natural sensation against the ground. Flexibility between the toes is slightly greater as well, providing a greater range of motion across all the small joints in the forefoot to let the toes spread more naturally on impact. Overall weight of the Dirt Runners is 5.5oz, which is 0.2 lighter than KSOs. When these fit correctly (i.e. when my heel isn’t moving or my toes aren’t contacting the front end) they replicate the freedom of going barefoot quite well.

So there are definitely some things to like about the Gist Dirt Runners – and while they aren’t going to make you forget about Vibrams anytime soon, at a price point of $50, they’re clearly aiming to provide a more affordable alternative to the larger company whose prices have been creeping steadily upward with each new model. I wouldn’t pick them over any of my favorite minimalist models - and I think your money is better spent on the more durable and well-proven Vibrams - but I think they’ve got some potential, with a couple of design tweaks here and there, to be a rival player in the minimalist footwear game.


*Product provided by Gist LLC
**See other product reviews on sidebar at right. If you have a product you’d like reviewed, contact me at info@runningandrambling.com.



Get Running and Rambling delivered to your inbox! Click here to receive new posts via e-mail.

11 comments:

Anonymous,  10/15/10, 4:14 AM  

Hmm.. Don't know what to think.. Couldn't they at least have moved the logo on the shoe so it is not in the exact same place as on the Vibram (is that a vibram sole? It looks exactly the same)..

The website looks a bit unprofessional and the guys blog is named Barefootin' Bob.. reminds me of a popular barefoot runner (another case of getting hits from bad google searches maybe)..

Andy 10/15/10, 6:14 AM  

Have you taken a really critical look at this product?

There's been a big discussion of the Gist product over at Barefoot Ted's google group. Most think that at best it's questionable infringement upon Vibram's pending patents and more than likely some actual theft of intellectual property. If you compare the soles side-by-side, it looks like they have tried to modify a Vibram production mold (Vibram is obviously having a hard time with their factory), which is why the ridges and logo are all in the same locations. The website is questionable as well, and made use of some of Barefoot Ted's photos without permission (taken down soon after we started discussing it in the group).

I don't know how much communication you've had with Gist, but I thought you might like to know there are some serious ethical question marks here since you're giving them press on your blog. I'm all for fair competition, but this doesn't look fair to me.

Donald 10/15/10, 7:45 AM  

Andy - thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of the Google group discussion (not much of a forum user these days). I also inquired with my Vibram rep about any potential copyright infringements or patent issues and didn't get anything definitive in reply. I can certainly see how this product will trigger some controversy, much of it justified.

My communications with the Gist rep have been frequent and varied enough to make me believe the company is well-intentioned, but I agree that there are some definite question marks about trying to establish this product. As I said in the post, I gave them the benefit of the doubt for now - but I'd love to hear any other opinions or discussion on this subject.

KovasP 10/15/10, 10:54 AM  

Wow, this will certainly give Vibram fits! I can see how this company might have a niche as an introductory shoe at a low price. After using these for a while, a person could then move "up" to the VFFs.

mountain hardwear 10/15/10, 6:29 PM  

The vibram looks great...It's perfect for barefoot running...

Boris T 10/16/10, 7:52 PM  

Thanks for the review. I'd been wondering what the quality of these would be and how the zipper would affect things. You've answered then well, thank you.

I can see this certainly being partially a rip on VFF's even the little octagonal logo is still in the sole.

justin 10/17/10, 11:32 AM  

To me, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. What's the difference between a knock-off product that purports to be the real thing and a knock-off that rebrands itself? It's a subtle difference, sure, and at least Gist isn't actively trying to pass its products off as Vibrams, but you can't produce what looks to be the exact same sole (95% the same) and suddenly not have a knock-off. If they were the real deal, they'd probably have at least created a *somewhat* different sole -- different grooves, etc.

That they're not outright saying their knock-offs isn't really indicative of anything in my mind.

So I say they're just knock-off Vibrams -- probably infringing on their intellectual property.

Sidenote: the comment above mine from "mountain hardwear" is just a spam comment from ZB Sports. They've tried spamming birthdayshoes.com numerous times, which is why their store listing got pulled off the site.

Donald 10/17/10, 12:43 PM  

Thanks Justin - your perspective means a lot to me. I'm definitely having second thoughts about legitimizing this company, but presuming that there's still significant question of whether Vibram will lock up the toe-glove patent, there's going to be a second player to embrace this design eventually. It's too bad that Gist seems to be going about it in the wrong way from a PR standpoint, with its blatant copying of sole and accents and everything else. I don't know whether that makes them criminals, though - that's kind of a tough call.

justin 10/17/10, 12:51 PM  

I'm not sure if it makes them criminals either -- I definitely think this is a step above 99% of the other fakesters out there pretending to be Vibram. Those guys are actively defrauding people by pretending to be Vibram. Gist at least isn't doing that, but I also doubt they are in the right here.

Actually, there is the evoskin: http://birthdayshoes.com/evoskin: coming out from inov-8 -- it's got 5 toes and I don't think you can really say anything bad about it. Also, if you head over to http://birthdayshoes.com right now, some company called ank shoes has some 5 toed shoes that appear to have a whole different sole design than Vibrams -- with crazy looking elevated heels, maybe.

So in the end, I hope Vibram doesn't have a patent that is so broad as to lock out all other five toed foot glove competitors. I like competition! But true competition and not someone just borrowing some shoe moulds and slapping their own logo on a slightly different upper.

Just my .02! I did like seeing your photos here :)

Blair 2/22/12, 5:09 PM  

The site is now gone. Were these real?

Donald 2/22/12, 6:55 PM  

@Blair: Interesting. Perhaps they bit the dust. Thanks for the update.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP